Let me not pray to be sheltered from dangers,
but to be fearless in facing them.
Let me not beg for the stilling of my pain,
but for the heart to conquer it.

- Rabindranath Tagore

Inspirational Music

Friday, December 10, 2010

India December 2010/ January 2011

Hello all,

I have not attempted to use this blog for a long time. I guess I find it difficult to slow down and write about what I'm doing most of the time. However, I was very encouraged by a friend before leaving that I should not fail to record at least some of my experience here this time. I believe he was right and will be making an attempt to record and reflect on my experience here.

So for starters my semester finished on Tuesday with an exam in Calculus II from 10am-12pm. I walked out of that exam feeling like I failed. I spoke with a few professors about other grades and found that I had done well in all of my other classes. Then I went home and realized HOLY CRAP I'M LEAVING FOR INDIA TOMORROW! So I began to write down a list of stuff that I would need here. Then I started packing, yes, I pack for month long international travel the night before...and it hasn't failed me yet. I spent all night awake in hopes of flipping my sleep schedule with the flights over. I've yet to figure out if it was successful. I flew out of Chattanooga at 9:50am on Wednesday arrived in Detroit and had a few hour layover which was incredibly uneventful. Flew to Amsterdam with another long boring layover. (travel is incredibly boring when its alone) was delayed in Amsterdam and then arrived in Mumbai at 1 something AM on Friday morning. I was very happy to be greeted with a large sign with my name on it this time. (last time I flew into Mumbai I was lost by the people that were to pick me up and had to find them on my own the next day) This morning I woke up around 9:30 and went to the clinic which is very close and only a few minutes by rickshaw.

Currently, I'm staying with a family. The Andrews. Mareez (spelling?) is a pediatrician that volunteers her time at the clinic twice a week. They generously offered their host me for a bit while here. I also was able to visit Andi and Sheba's home and meet Asha and Enoch their children. Today has been eventful enough for a first day with such a late night!

To change tempo I would like to thank my family for supporting me despite my missing Christmas with them this year. I know this is not an easy time for me to be gone with all the things that are going on. I am thankful that God has given me this opportunity. I was incredibly disappointed this summer when I realized that my hospitalization would prevent me from coming at all. Also thank you to all who have supported, prayed, and been with me on my journey of recovery. This summer has taught me that despite being out of the woods I am still not in the clear. I may always be finding setbacks due to my injuries but I can say with confidence that God's hand is still present and I can trust that He allows the setbacks for His purposes.

Please pray for my health as I am here. I am in good health all around with very comfortable legs. I would like to keep it that way if possible. I hope to be able to serve with everything I have while here, having my legs act up will frustrate that effort greatly. Pray also that I am able to listen and learn and reflect while here, I see so many opportunities to learn about God and His love for us as well as medicine and how to express God's love through medicine. I want to soak Him up. I want to see His face and know this part of His heart.

For now, I hope this finds you all in good spirits and that as you prepare for this Christmas season that you will remember that the world still hurts even if you are on Holiday. Not that you should celebrate any less for that reason but that you would truly celebrate the birth of our Savior. Celebrate and remember why He came.

In Christ,

C.

2 comments:

Tami Tucker said...

Caleb, I am so glad that you've made it to your destination safely and I am praying for your legs & your heart! We will miss you GREATLY at Christmas, but I am so thankful that God is taking you places I've never been! I hope you know that I love you soooo much & I am sorry that I am an imperfect human, who continually makes mistakes! Thanks for taking the time to write!

Joy said...

I am so encouraged to read your post! I haven't been in touch or online much, so I didn't know you were going, but to here the hope in your voice...I can't tell you what that means to me. Caleb, soak up everything in india! I'm so jealous! Love on people and receive their love! Blessings.