Let me not pray to be sheltered from dangers,
but to be fearless in facing them.
Let me not beg for the stilling of my pain,
but for the heart to conquer it.

- Rabindranath Tagore

Inspirational Music

Thursday, March 25, 2010

A student is not an individual enrolled in classes or even someone who attends classes. A student is one who studies. Studies subjects and concepts not "for exams." The end is not a grade it is knowledge and understanding of subjects and disciplines that can be used. Exams are only tools to determine to what extent the discipline and subject has bee understood. I too often confuse the priority of learning with that of getting an A or graduating.

I'm setting a goal: to wake up before classes early enough to read about what my classes cover each day. I don't want to study for exams I want to review what I've already studied. To aid me in this endeavor I've enlisted the help of coffee, hence the cup picture. (I just realized I don't know how to properly use the word "hence" but I'm leaving it in anyway.)

The 5k is Saturday.
I'm stoked.
A little nervous too.
I hope I don't have too much trouble with my legs; it is a long run.
I'm going to finish regardless; I would just prefer to be able to walk afterward.

3 comments:

Lesley said...

i love the definition of the a student... great thoughts... and good luck with the running i hope you'll able to walk afterwards as well.

Tami Tucker said...

Call me after the race & tell me how you did! Please be careful! Love Mom

Maggie said...

i think you used the word hence correctly. And hey, I'm going to be a student in the Fall as well - studying seems to be "the" thing!